Tuesday, May 12, 2009

The Interview Follow Up

This morning I called to follow up on the interview that I had not too long ago.


To be honest, I wasn't really confident that I'd get it. It has been 2 and a half weeks since the interview and there was no reply from them. I just assumed that they weren't interested.


My main purpose was to see whether I can gather some information from the follow up call.
Should I not be the chosen candidate for the job, I would ask:
  1. Why they felt that I was unsuitable for the position
  2. How well they thought I did during the interview
  3. Whether they know of any other vacant positions suitable for my skills

I was a little nervous, of course, it was somewhat daunting to have to confront possible bad news and even criticism.


The interviewer remembered me and apologized for not getting back to me. She said that they just made a decision and unfortunately, it wasn't me. I wasn't really disappointed to be honest. It was my first interview after all.


However, she then said that I was their second choice. I was a little stunned to say the least. She explained that the only reason why they selected the successful candidate over me is because he has a Masters degree, and sounded quite impressed that I managed to be their second choice out of all 37 applicants. I suppose she was trying to make me feel better about myself.


I was quite taken back that I had come so close and yet so far.


She continued and said that they have another similar position opened in 4 - 5 months' time and she would like it if I would take up the position then.


I was really pleased to hear this and took the opportunity to thank her and tell her that I would definitely love to work under her. Before we said our goodbyes, she said that she would keep me updated and will notify me if anything else comes up :)



I'm still buzzing from the excitement even though there's really nothing much to be excited about. I feel recharged and ready to dive into those pile of job adverts.


In the last week or so, I've been feeling rather down. I often wondered why no one wanted to hire me.

Was I doing something wrong?

Is it because my resume and cover letter look boring or are inadequate?

Why won't anyone give me a chance?


So very often I would forget that times are bad and jobs are scarce. I would go back and forth in my resume and scrutinizing every word, every sentence. Frankly, I felt like I was simply unemployable.


However, now I feel like I have gained my confidence back and am much more hopeful.
I will still continue to persevere and apply for more jobs :)






2 comments:

Joshua said...

jia you!

LishyWishy ♥ said...

Awww thank you!! :D

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...