Thursday, September 10, 2009

Treading lightly

Yesterday, I witnessed (and actually assisted) in a lipo & breast augmentation procedure whereby a patient's fat was transferred from her thighs to the boobs.

They called me the day before and asked me to come in and meet the founder, Dr. Ong. I must say, I'm rather intimidated by him. Anyho, both Dr. Ong and his daughter, Amanda had to do the procedure together. Although I was called in to observe initially, I somehow ended up assisting them.

I'm extremely fascinated; but only because it's all new and exciting to me. Dr . Ong explained to me that they plan to utilize a little bit of biotechnology in their newest anti-aging technique, which is why they'd prefer if I'd come on board. Moreover, she explained that I understood basic sanitation, sterilization, medical terms, equipments, etc., so it would be much easier to train me up so I can provide them with assistance during these minor surgical procedures.



I can't hide the fact that I'm intrigued by it all. I have been weighing my options and had a good long think about what I intend to do. This position is not exactly what I've studied four years for. I am aware that most people take on careers unrelated to their qualifications. I didn't think that I would be one of them.
But then again, what's the problem, right?
People change their career paths all the time. It's not like I'm behind some cash register in a supermarket trying to make ends meet.

It's a fascinating position, fast-paced and never routine. Fact is, procedures like this depends on bookings so I'm sure I'll be doing a lot of receptionist work (alongside Karen), giving hair treatments/consultations (and eventually skincare consultation), and even traveling to the city once in a while to their other Melbourne office.

This is definitely a job where I'll have to be dressed to look representable, interact with the clients and learn about their unique cases. A far cry from being hidden away in a lab, and it wouldn't matter if I'd wear scruffy clothes since I'd be wearing a lab gown/coat.

As it was already my 4th visit to the place, I've already met most of the people who work there; they seem genuinely friendly and nice people, so that's a bonus :)

I'm most likely going to take the job! And to think that I almost said no! (I actually called up to tell them that but before I could start, they asked me to come in to meet Dr. Ong and watch a lipo + breast augmentation)

The pay probably won't be great since I practically have no skills but I'll be fine.
I will just have to work my way up and prove my worth. They are quite keen for me to join so will get back to me on Monday after they've worked out the salary.
Let's hope it'll be enough for me save a bit too :)
Am planning to take on driving lessons! :D

Oh before I forget!! After we completed the procedure and had a bite to eat, Kee came up to me with a small white envelope and said that it was for the assistance I had provided them. I tried to decline but she was adament that I had "worked" that day.
I thanked them but had no idea how much was inside.
So I was pretty blown away when I realized it was $50!! This is the first time I've actually got paid for work!! :D

WOO HOO! Maybe it's time for me to get a new bag! :D
My current bag is starting to peel and fade :(

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...