Sunday, April 19, 2009

Butterfly dance

So I went for my very first job interview ever.


It was nerve-wrecking! *silent scream*

I received an e-mail a week and half after I applied for the job with a subject heading "Interview"
My heart was about to burst and it nearly did as I read through the e-mail.
I wanted to run around the room and hug myself at the same time.

Then a flood of mixed emotions engulfed me. I was soooooo not prepared for an interview. What would I say? What should I do? What should I wear?! I need shoes and bag which screams "HIRE ME!" but where?
So many problems.. so little time...

I hit the local bookstore in search of books that would guide me through my first interview. As I went through the shelves, I found myself with about 6 books in hand.
I speedily read through a book which was entitled 'Perfect First Interview' (or something along those lines) trying to absorb as much info as possible.

I ended up buying a book called 'The Everything(R) Practice Interview Book'


Call me silly but I am the type that likes to do my research (which is why I am a scientist).

It did help me a lot but I also think it made me even more nervous as I had to remember so many things that I should and shouldn't do.
But it was indeed very handy.



I arrived at the interview extra early so was seated in a waiting area. I was soon joined an Indian man who looked smart in his full suit, nice polished shoes and a large black briefcase.
He was called to do the interview first. Fifteen minutes later, he emerged from the room with a smile on his face.
D'oh!
He asked me whether I was going for the interview and told me that I had nothing to worry about as it was easy.
I felt really relieved after hearing that.

It wasn't long before it was my turn. As I entered the room, I realized that I was going to be interviewed by THREE people.
I was silently screaming inside the whole time as I shook all their hands.

Fortunately, they didn't waste anytime asking silly or confusing questions such as "What book did you last read?" (I read Cleo mag but I don't think you want to know that, so should I lie and say I read something more intellectual?)

They wanted to know what sort of research I've done and the sort of techniques I've used.
It wasn't too difficult so I think I did alright.
I wasn't oozing with confidence but I was rambling on like some village idiot.

Unfortunately it would take another two weeks before they make their final decision. I'm not sure whether I would be chosen but I won't feel too disheartened that I didn't.
I learnt a lot from that interview so I'm really happy that they gave me an opportunity.

Am quite pumped up and ready for future interviews! :D


Am planning to work part-time at Coles at the moment. Yes, it's a dodgy job that only high-school students do but reality is I need to support myself and this recession is not making it easy. I am also looking for jobs outside of Adelaide as our state is facing the worst unemployment rate in the whole of Aussieland.

Wish me luck!

2 comments:

Mingming said...

GOOD LUCK!!:)
Interviews can be stressful...but just be yourself and portray that sense of confidence no matter what you might end up saying.(of course must be related la...)

Coles?! u can get discounts on Books!! smart choice cuzzie. I was about to say if u want to make more money..waitressing is pretty good too..or banquets!!:) Donna and I work in a banquet part time..its so tiring..but the money is really good.

sooo..what did you wear? hheehehe.

Lishywishy said...

Awww, you're awesome Doris :)
Thanks for being so encouraging!!

Oh, how interesting!! Coles in Aussieland is actually a supermarket! But it turns out they won't accept my visa (Bummer!!)
Ah well, I'll try other stores then! Waitressing doesn't pay very well here (about $13-$15/hour?) and I wanted to work at the stadium (It pays so well!! $20+/hour) but it's sooo far from my house! I won't be able to catch any late buses home :(

But I'm still hunting and I'm not giving up! It can be a little disheartening at times though!
Anyway, thank you for leaving me lovely comments. I really do appreciate them!! :D

PS: I wore a pink collared top with a black vest and skirt (very office girl! LOL)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...